Instructions for Authors
Author Guidelines and Submission Procedure for Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute
Enacted in March 1990, recently revised in December 2010
This author guideline is intended to set forth the instruction for submission of manuscripts to the KCI Journal issued by Korea Concrete Institute (Hereinafter, ‘Our Institute’).
2. Basis of Acceptability
KCI Journal Manuscripts must be within in the area of interest of KCI and further the knowledge in all areas of concrete engineering; and be original in authorship and publication.
3. Formatting Requirements (Format, Instruction, Terminology, Unit, and Length)
1) The manuscript must be written via Hangul Word processor.
2) The language of KCI publication is Korean.
3) The order of the manuscript must be Title, Authors’ names, Affiliation and address, Abstract in English, Body of Main Text, Acknowledgements, References, and Abstract in Korean; Title, authors’ names and affiliation and address must be written in line with English.
4) Maximum five Keywords in English and Korean can be used.
5) The figure and table must be written in the form of Figure 5 and Table 3 for manuscripts in Korean as well; but the explanation must be in English.
6) The terminologies and symbols must follow the most recent policy if KCI enacted the terminologies and symbols. If not, terminologies and symbols that are widely used in the professional sector will be used. The symbol must be defined in the form of phrase where the symbol is used at first.
7) All units must comply with SI units.
8) The length of paper must be within 8 pages including graphs and pictures in manuscripts. The manuscript may exceed 8 pages under the agreement of the editorial committee but the printing cost is on the author and the manuscript limit is 12 page long.
1) The author with the highest contribution in submission procedure should be listed first when there are multiple authors. Minimum one author must be the member of our institute and the limitation of the number of authors are five.
2) The mark ‘*’ must be placed on the right side of the corresponding author and E-mail address must be on the left bottom with underline.
3) The first author may be the corresponding author as well.
References must be arranged in order of quotation and be cited in the body of main text. If the reference is from the western, the name of article, book, report and name of the journal must be in italic.
1) Academic Journal: Author’s name, Title, Name of the Journal, Volume, Issue, Year of publication, Cited page.
Han, G. C., “Effect of sea sand on the strength of concrete,” Collection of Paper of Korea Concrete Institute, Vol. 4, No. 4, 1992, pp. 1-10.
Paulay, T., Priestley, M. J. N., and Synge, A. J., “Laboratory Study of Flaw Detection in Concrete by Pulse Echo Method,” ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 79, No. 4, 1982, pp. 257-269.
2) Single book: Authors’ names, Name of the Book, Publisher, Place of publication, Year of publication, Cited page. Norris, C. H. and Willbur, J. B., Elementary Structural Analysis, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1960, pp. 180-220.
3) Report: Authors’ names, Title of report, Number of report, Publishing institute, Place of Publication, Year of publication, Cited page.
Bishop, A. W., “Mechanical Properties of Concrete,” Report No. CM-92, Portland Cement Association, Shokie, Illinois, 1993, pp. 1-10.
4) Journal from an academic conference: Authors’ name, Title, Name of the Journal, Hosting society or institute, Place of conference, Volume, Issue, Year of hosting the conference, Cited page.
Sansalone, M. and Poston, R. W., “Detecting Cracks in Beams and Columns of a Post Tensioned Parking Garage Structure,” Proceedings of Nondestructive Evaluation of Civil Structures and Materials, American Concrete Institute, Boston, USA, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1992, pp. 129-143.
6. Figure and Table
1) The figure and the table must be appropriately placed in the body of main text.
2) The figure should follow the author guidelines and the size of the figure will be minimized if it is larger than the submission standard; so the author should be careful with the size of letter and symbol.
3) The criterion of a picture is black and the picture has a size limitation as the figure does. If color pictures are needed, the author must pay for the additional cost.
4) If the authors want to reprint a picture or a figure which the third party has the copyright, he/she must get a written approval and mark it in an appropriate way.
1) The author must submit one original and three copies and diskette to the chairman of the editorial committee of our institute.
Address : The editorial committee for Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, Suite 1009, New Bldg., the Korea Science and Technology Center, 22, Teheran-ro 7-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 06130, Rep. of Korea.
Tel : +82-2-568-5987 / Web : www.kci.or.kr/paper/paper_help.asp / E-mail : email@example.com
2) The paper which passed the review must be submitted with the final version of the paper and diskette that has the contents together. Diskette can be replaced by the method of E-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) submission.
1) The author must do the first proofreading.
2) During the proofreading process, the author can not change the contents of body of main text at his/her discretion and he/she must get an approval of the editorial committee if he/she wants to change the contents.
9. Submission Fee
The author should pay the review and publication fee that is decided by the institute for his/her published paper and the institute provides 20 copies of offprint in line with the request of the author. If the author wants more offprints, he/she should pay for the additional cost.
The corresponding author must transfer the copyright to our institute under the described form (Application form of paper publication).
Guideline for the Review, Judgement and Publication
Enacted in Marth 1990, revised in January 2007
Qualification of the reviewer
The regular member of our institute having doctorial degree or equivalent is qualified to be a reviewer; a professional who is not our member can also be the reviewer in a special circumstance.
Selection of the reviewer
1. One editorial committee member in each professional area recommends one reviewer to the editorial secretary and the secretary collects the recommended reviewers and submits the list to the Editor-in-Chief of the editorial committee.
2. The Editor-in-Chief of the editorial committee selects three reviewers among recommended reviewers and asks them for paper evaluation.
3. In that case, the editing member in charge or the editorial secretary can be chosen as a reviewer but they cannot be reviewers of a paper that they are included as authors.
If the reviewer does not submit the opinion after the evaluation within 15 days of being selected as a reviewer, the request of the review can be cancelled. In that case, the paper should be returned to our institute and the chairman of the editorial committee can select another reviewer to ask for the review.
The review is divided into pre-review and review. The pre-review is the process of deciding the suitability of the submission guideline by the editorial secretary; and the review is the process of deciding the publication of the submitted paper by the selected three reviewers.
1. The paper that is judged as unsuitable during the pre-review is returned to the author and the paper which passed the pre review will go through the review process.
2. The reviewer should review the paper based on the review capitulation; Able to publish, Able to publish after modification, Need re-review after modification, Unable to publish and clearly state the opinion of the reviewer within 15 days of the request.
3. The criteria of the judgment should be as follows and in case of ‘Unable to publish’, the reviewer must specify the reason on the paper review report.
1) Able to publish: Paper that can be published without modification.
2) Able to publish after modification: Paper that needs a modification because the contents of the paper or the system are insufficient (It is a publishable paper and the author can decide on his/her own whether the paper is modified under the recommendation of the reviewer)
3) Need to re-review after modification: The contents of the paper and the structure is too ambiguous and insufficient so the author should amend the paper under the request of the reviewers; and after the modification, the paper needs to go under re-review by the reviewers.
4) Unable to publish
① Paper that groundlessly copied already published paper
② Paper that has some error or is not clear on the research results
③ Paper that has no significant difference compared to already published research results
④ Paper that is not unique
⑤ Paper that is not appropriate with the description or logical system
Conditions of Able to publish
1. In case of being judged as ‘Able to publish’ by three reviewers at the first review
2. In case of being judged as ‘Able to publish’ by two reviewers after re-reviewing the modified paper
Condition of Unable to publish
1. In case of not satisfying the article 11 (Condition of judging ‘Able to publish’)
2. In case of not submitting the modifications to the editorial committee within six months after the day of notifying the review results (However, it can be exceptional if the submitter asks for the delay of the duration of the modification within the 6 months in a written form and the committee undergoes the deliberation.)
Raising the objection
If the author has an objection on the results of the review, he/she can raise an objection to the editorial committee in a written form within 30 days from getting the notification of ‘Unable to publish’. After that, the chairman of the committee examines the application form of the objection and the editorial committee gives a final decision on the publication after a discussion.
Publication type / Basis of acceptability
The Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute (J. Korea Concr. Inst.) accepts the following types of manuscripts: original research articles of various topics related to concrete; concrete structures and other allied materials incorporating cement, cementitious binder and polymer or fiber in conjunction with concrete. The Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute also publishes review articles, as well as short communications and discussions. Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute published 6 times a year (on last days of each even months) in the form of hardcopy and e-Journal.
The author should pay 60,000 KRW for a review and 40,000 KRW for a publication and exceeding costs. Eight pages are the basis and the maximum is 12 pages. If the paper exceeds eight pages, he/she needs to pay 20,000 KRW for an exceeding per each page.